Car Buying and Selling Regulations in Nebraska

Last Updated on

If you want to own or sell a vehicle in Nebraska, you must go through the legal process of buying and selling a vehicle. Whether you are buying a new or used vehicle, you will need to go through some important processes and handle some paperwork for vehicle registration and titling.

How to Buy a Vehicle

Don’t worry if you fall a victim of a defective vehicle. The state of Nebraska has a lemon law that protects buyers from defective vehicles. If you suspect that you have purchased a lemon, you can request the manufacturer to give you a replacement vehicle or your refund. When you purchase a vehicle from a licensed dealer, the dealer normally handles all the required paperwork for vehicle registration and titling on your behalf. If you have license plates from a previous vehicle that you sold, you can put those plates on your new vehicle that you have purchased from the dealer. If you have never owned a vehicle before, the dealer may give you the “Registration applied for” card to use it on your vehicle until your new license plates are processed. However, when you purchase a vehicle from a private party, you will need to handle the paperwork yourself. You need to obtain the vehicle title and a bill of sale from the seller. You will need to submit the above documents to the DMV. After you purchase a vehicle, you have to register it within 30 days from the purchase date.

How to Sell a Vehicle

If you are selling your vehicle in Nebraska, you should provide the buyer with a signed title. If the title is missing for whatever reason, you can obtain a duplicate copy from the Nebraska DMV and sign it over to the buyer. This document provides proof that you had transferred ownership to another owner. This document also acts as proof of transaction enabling the buyer to title and register the vehicle in his or her name. If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, you will also need to provide the buyer with a statement of odometer reading. You can download an Odometer Disclosure Statement Form from the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicle website. If you are unable to get the odometer reading for such a vehicle, you can request the Nebraska DMV to list the reading as either “Exceeds Mechanical Limits” or “Not Actual.” If you have any question about selling your car in Nebraska, contact the Nebraska DMV at (402) 471-3918.

Buying or Selling Without Paperwork

You shouldn’t buy a vehicle without a title. A previous title is needed in order to register and title your newly purchased vehicle in your name. However, if you have purchased a vehicle without a title or the Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO), you can opt for a bonded title. To do so, you will need to submit a surety bond equivalent to 1.5 times the total value of the vehicle. You will need to first submit a completed Application for Copy of Vehicle Record and $1 application fee, before submitting your Application for bonded certificate of Title. If the vehicle doesn’t have a vehicle identification number (VIN) plate, you will also need to complete and submit an Assigned ID Number Application, $20 application fee along with Sheriff’s Inspection Form. Once you submit all the above documents, the Nebraska DMV will provide you with a bonded title. For more information, get in touch with the Driver and Vehicle Records Division by phone at (402) 471-3918.