Last Updated on
A driving record is an official document containing all information about your driving history. Driving records in Iowa are administered by the IA Department of Transportation (DOT) in the Office of Driver Services.
Information on Your Iowa Driving Record
Your Iowa certified driver record includes full information about your driving for the last 5 years or beyond and these include:
- Traffic accidents
- Traffic violations
- License suspensions.
If your IA driver’s record has been revoked on grounds of operating while intoxicated (OWI), this information will remain in your records for 12 years. The completion of a driver improvement course in Iowa does not clear your record from violation or accident. However, this could lower your car insurance premium and help you to avoid getting traffic tickets in future.
Who Can See Your Driving Record
Insurance companies, government agencies potential employers and organizations can order your Iowa driving record for a number of reasons:
- To conduct a background check as part of a pre-employment screening
- For use in court as part of a lawsuit
- To check on an insurance claim or to set an insurance policy
- As part of a company’s standard policy.
Ordering an Iowa Driving Record
In Iowa, you can order your own certified IA driving record either by email, in person or online. If you are requesting someone else’s certified IA driver record, you’ll be able to do so by mail or in person. In addition, you’ll have to attach proof of their written consent.
In Person or By Mail
In order to request an Iowa driving record in person, you’ll have to submit:
- A completed Privacy Act Agreement for Request of Motor Vehicle Records (Form 431069). You’ll only be required to complete Sections A and D if you are only requesting your own driving record.
- Your non-driver identification card or IA driver’s license.
- Proof of written consent, when ordering the driver’s record of another driver.
- A Payment fee of $5.50.
If you want to order by mail, you need to make a check out to “Treasurer, State of Iowa.” Take this to your local Iowa DMV office, or you may email it to: Office of Driver Services Iowa Department of Transportation P.O. Box 9204 Des Moines, IA 50306
When ordering Online
You’re only allowed to order your own Iowa certified driving record online. For requests of someone else’s driver record, you’ll need to order it in person or by mail.
- Log into the Iowa myMVD website and enter your Name, Date of birth, Last 5 digits of your Social Security number (SSN) and identification card number or Iowa driver’s license number.
- Provide a debit/credit card for the fee of $5.50, plus a service charge of $1.50.
Correct Errors on Your IA Driving Record
Make sure your IA driver record is accurate because incorrect information may lead to high insurance premiums, driver’s license suspension or fines. In order to correct your Iowa driving record, you’ll have to contact the IA Department of Transportation at: (800) 532-1121 (toll-free in Iowa only) or (515) 244-8725.