Driving Records in Montana

Last Updated on

You can request your Montana driving record from the Montana Motor Vehicle Division. This department keeps driving records of all licensed drivers. The document contains driving history including driving license application, suspensions, revocations, accidents involved, traffic violations and other information.

About Your Montana Driving Record

A typical Montana driving record shows:

  • Personal information
  • Tickets and convictions
  • License information
  • Vehicle accident history
  • Driver license revocations and suspensions.

Points against Your Driving Record

Any point that you earn as a result of traffic violation stays in your driving record for 3 years. But all convictions remain in your Montana driving record forever. Tickets that you receive as a result of over-speeding also stay in your driving record.

How Do Points Affect Insurance Rates?

Traffic violations and tickets placed on your driving record affect your car insurance rates. More serious convictions affect the rates of your insurance premiums for 5 years.

Who Sees Your Driving Record?

Montana Driver Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) allows driving records to be released in accordance with its regulations. The following is a list of entities that can see your driving record:

  • A person with written consent from the driver
  • Court or law enforcement
  • News media representatives for reasonable law enforcement purposes
  • Towing companies
  • Security agencies
  • Licensed private investigators
  • An employer requesting it to verify their driver license information
  • An entity that wants to prevent car insurance fraud
  • Parents requesting driving records of their children who are under 18 years old.

Businesses Requesting Driving Records

Under Montana Driver Privacy Protection Act (DPPA), a business can request a Montana driving record for their employees. You can sign up at the official Montana state website to request driving records more easily. These businesses entities must sign a restricted use agreement detailing out the purpose of the records requested.

Ordering Your Montana Driving Record

You can request your Montana driving record in person, online or by mail.


Visit the Montana state website driver records request page and selected your preferred statement. Here you will be asked to provide the required information such as full name, drivers license number, last 4 digits of your Social Security number and payment of the required fees.

In Person

You can also request your Montana driving record in person by visiting the Montana Motor Vehicle Division office. Use the address below: Scott Hart Building, Second Floor 302 N. Roberts Helena, MT 59601 You are supposed to take with you:

  • Form 34-0100 (Release of Driving Records form)
  • Proof of identity, such as ID card, Driver’s license or Passport
  • Check or money order (driving record fee).

By Mail

You can also request your Montana driving record by mail. To do so:

  • Fill and complete Form 34-0100 (a Release of Driving Records)
  • Collect proof of identity, such as ID card, Driver’s license or Passport
  • Look for a self-addressed, stamped envelope where your driving record will be sent to
  • Include a money order or check to pay your driving record fee.

Send the above package to: Motor Vehicle Division P.O. Box 201430 Helena, MT 59620

Fees for Montana Driving Records

The fee for your Montana driving record varies as follows:

  • $7.25 for online requests
  • $ 4 for in person requests
  • $4 for requests made by mail
  • Additional $3 for faxing each record requested.

Acceptable Methods of Payment

  • For online requests, credit cards are accepted
  • In person or by mail, use a money order or check.

Driving Record Fees for Businesses

If you run a business that require regular access to driving records, you can pay an annual fee of $100 to continue receiving these records. For each record requested, you will be billed $7.25.

Rectifying errors of your Montana driving record

If you find errors on your Montana driving record, contact the Montana Motor Vehicle Division Office to get it corrected. You can reach them at:

You may also visit them in person at: Motor Vehicle Division Scott Hart Building, Second Floor 302 North Roberts P.O. Box 201430 Helena, MT 59620