Driving Records in Washington

Last Updated on

You can request your driving record or that of other drivers. These records are also known as motor vehicle record (MVR) and are provided by the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL). Your Washington driving record therefore contains information on your driving history, including driver’s license suspensions, convictions, tickets, accidents, violations and other additional information. These records can be used:

  • By government agencies for official business
  • For research and statistical purpose
  • By insurance agencies when calculating your insurance rates.

Types of Washington Driving Records

The Washington Department of Licensing offers the following types of driving records:

  • Complete driving records: This record contains an entire history of your driving experiences. It is mainly used for official purposes.
  • 3-year driving record abstracts: This record contains your driving history for 3 years and it’s commonly used by insurance companies.
  • Employment driving records: This record contains a complete history of driving events. This record is used by employers during background checks.
  • Volunteer driver records: This record is used by volunteer organizations.
  • School bus driver records.

Information on your Driving record

Your Washington driving record contains information about your past:

  • Traffic violations
  • Convictions
  • Traffic accidents
  • Driver’s license suspensions and cancellations.

Employer, Insurance Agency and Attorney Requests

Under Driver Privacy Protection Act, attorney, employer or insurance company may request someone else driving record. So in general someone else’s driving record can be requested:

  • By Government agencies to be used in official business
  • By court to use them in arbitration proceedings
  • By insurance companies to use them when determining your insurance premiums
  • By employers to use when conducting pre-employment background check.

Ordering your Washington driving record

You can request your own Washington driving record by mail, online or in person by visiting your local Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) office. For commercial driver’s license, driving records can only be ordered by mail or in person.

In Person or By Mail

You can also request your Washington driving record by mail or in person. You will need to:

  • Submit Form DR-500-009 (Driving Record Request Form). Be sure to include personal information, the driver’s name and date of birth, Washington driver license number and the type of driving record you are requesting.
  • A letter on company letterhead with a detailed reason for the request.
  • Submit payment.

The above package is submitted to Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) through mail or in person.

  • In person visit your local Washington Department of Licensing (DOL)
  • Through mail use the address below: Driver Records Department of Licensing PO Box 3907 Seattle, WA 98124-3907

Online Request

When you request your own Washington driving record online, you will receive a PDF form of your request which you may view, print or save in your computer. In order to submit your order, you will need to register for an online Washington License Express account though Washington DOL website. You will be asked to provide the following information:

  • Your driver’s license number
  • Social Security number (SSN)
  • Payment for the $13 fee
  • The type of driving record you need.

Correct Errors on Your Washington Driving Record

If there are errors in your Washington driving record, contact the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) to have those errors removed. You can reach them through phone at (360) 902-3900 or (360) 664-0116 for customers with hearing problems.

Fees for a Washington Driving Record

You will need $13 to obtain a driving record in Washington. If you are requesting your driving record in person, payment can be made by either by cash, check or credit/debit card. Driving record fees paid by credit card also incur additional convenience fees. Credit or debit cards are not accepted in Coulee Dam, Friday Harbor, Davenport, Forks, Newport, Goldendale, Republic and South Bend.