Last Updated on
To ride a motorcycle in Maine, you will need to apply for motorcycle learner’s permit or obtain a motorcycle endorsement on your Maine driver’s license. This can be done at any local Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). Licensing is mandatory if you plan to ride a motorcycle, moped, motor scooter or a motorized scooter. To get a license, you must pass both the motorcycle written test and road test. These tests are offered by the Maine BMV. You will be charged in court if you are found riding your motorcycle without a license.
How to Apply
The following are some steps to follow when applying for a motorcycle learner’s permit and license:
- To qualify for these tests, you must be at least 16 years old. Also, you must have completed the state’s approved driver’s education course and issued with a regular Maine driver’s license. If you are at least 18 years old, this course is not required.
- All applicants for the Maine motorcycle license must have taken and passed the Maine Motorcycle Safety Education Course (MMSEC). This course consists of 8 hours of instruction.
- You will be required to complete the Maine Motorcycle Application.
- The next step is to take and pass the motorcycle written exam in order to obtain the motorcycle permit. This permit is valid for a certain period of time and it allows you to ride your bike only during daytime. Holders of this permit are not allowed to carry any passenger.
Motorcycle Road Test or Waiver
To graduate from holding a motorcycle permit to a regular motorcycle license or endorsement, you will need to take the nationally standardized Motorcycle Rider Course or the Maine Motorcycle Road Test which is offered by the BMV. You can also opt for a road test waiver. To do so, you will need to submit your waiver application in person at any local BMV office.
Costs and Fees
The following are fees for obtaining a Maine motorcycle license:
- To apply for a motorcycle permit and license and take the exams you will need to pay $10 fee.
- For motorcycle endorsement the fee is $10.