Motorcycle License in North Dakota

Last Updated on

You must obtain the motorcycle license in order to legally operate a motorcycle on North Dakota public roads and highways. You need to prepare yourself before taking the required tests for licensing. The North Carolina Motorcycle Operator Manual has usefully information that can help you pass the tests. You can download this handbook from online or pick a copy from your local Department of Transportation (NDDOT).


To apply for a motorcycle license, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a North Dakota resident.
  • You must be aged at least 14 years old and provide proof that you are enrolled in state approved motorcycle safety course.
  • As a motorcycle operator, you will be required to carry a regular North Carolina driver’s license with M endorsement.

Applying for a Class M Permit

You will need to visit the nearest DMV office to apply for a Class M permit. Be sure to:

  • Provide proper identification.
  • Provide your Social Security number.
  • Pass an eye exam.
  • If you do not have a valid North Dakota driver’s license, you will be required to pass the regular North Dakota driver’s license written test before you proceed to taking other exams for a motorcycle endorsement.
  • Pay $5 for each written test.

Proof of Identification

You will need to provide original or certified identification documents when applying for a motorcycle permit or endorsement. The documents must show your legal name, date of birth and place of residence. The following identification documents will be accepted by the NDDOT:

  • U.S. birth certificate.
  • Valid U.S. passport.
  • Valid foreign passport with an I-551 stamp or an I-94 card.
  • U.S. government-issued consular report of birth abroad.
  • Military identification card.
  • U.S. court order.

If you’re an immigrant, you will need to provide the following:

  • Permanent resident card or I-551 resident alien.
  • I-688 temporary resident card.
  • 1-688B, I-766 employment authorization card.
  • N560 certificate of citizenship.
  • N550 certificate of naturalization.
  • I-94 card stamped refugee.

Class M Written Exam

Once you pass the Class M written exam, you will be issued with a North Dakota Class M permit. This permit will allow you to legally ride a motorcycle during the day only. No carrying of passengers while driving under a permit.

The Road Test

Once you are confident riding a motorcycle, you can proceed to taking a road exam (driving skill test). Not all DMV locations in ND offer this test. You will need to search for a location that offer this test and schedule an appointment with them. Be sure to take with you:

  • Your own motorcycle. Must be registered, insured and pass a pre-test equipment inspection.
  • Your Class M permit.
  • Money order or Check to pay a $5 test fee.

Applying for a Class M Endorsement

If you are aged between 14 and 15 years old, you will need to provide the following when applying for a Class M endorsement:

  • You must provide proof that you have successfully completed or you are currently enrolled in North Dakota approved motorcycle safety course.
  • You must hold a valid permit for at least 2 months prior taking a road test.
  • If you meet the both requirements, your examiner may waive your road test.

Other Information

  • Motorcycle riders younger than 16 years old can only ride motorcycles that not more than 250 cc.
  • If you are under 18 years old, you will be required to wear a state approved helmet when riding a motorcycle.