Washington Motorcycle License

Last Updated on

In Washington, to legally ride a motorcycle on streets and highways, you will need a Washington motorcycle license or motorcycle endorsement from the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL).

Getting a Motorcycle License in Washington

Obtaining a Washington motorcycle license or endorsement is a very straightforward process. You will need to appropriate training and tests. You will need to schedule an appointment to take a motorcycle written exam, but for riding tests you can take them any time. You will have two options of obtaining a motorcycle endorsement:

  • You may decide to enroll and pass a Washington approved motorcycle rider course. If you are armed with this course, you will not be required to take knowledge and skills tests. You will be required to take the rider’s course Certificate of Completion to any Licensing Services office in Washington. This must be done within 180 days of the course completion.
  • If you don’t want to go through an approved rider course, you can opt for a written test. This will help you to obtain an instruction permit which allows you to practice for the Washington motorcycle riding test. You will need to pass a riding test in order to apply for the Washington motorcycle license.

In Washington, to be eligible for a motorcycle instruction permit, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Hold a valid Washington driver's license.
  • Aged at least 16 years old.
  • Pass the motorcycle written test.

You will be required to pay instruction permit application fee before sitting for the motorcycle written test. If you pass the test, you will be issued with an instruction permit. This permit will allow you to legally drive your motorcycle, but you must abide by the following restrictions:

  • You may not ride at night.
  • You may not carry passengers.

Once you have completed the practicing period, you will need to take the road test in order to be issued with a Washington motorcycle license or motorcycle endorsement on your driver’s license. You will need to pay motorcycle endorsement which ranges from $17 to $27. The fee depends on the period remaining to renew the driver’s license. If you are younger than 18 years old, your application must be approved by your parent or guardian.