Paperwork Required When Buying a Car in Vermont

Last Updated on March 22, 2018 by Jason Mason

When buying a car in Vermont, you must obtain certain required paperwork from the seller in order to register and title your vehicle. If you buy your car from a dealer, they will normally process the required paperwork on your behalf. However, if you buy the car from a private seller, you will need to visit the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to register and title the car in your name. Continue reading this article to get more information about the paperwork required when buying a car in Vermont.

Paperwork for Vermont Car Buyers

As a buyer, you must obtain ownership documents from the seller. Generally, you will need:

  • The vehicle title for cars up to 15 years old. This document must be signed by you and the sellers.
  • A Bill of Sale.
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form TA-VT-05).

Buying a Car without a Title

A title is needed if the vehicle that you are buying is more than 15 years old. If you still intend to purchase such vehicles, make sure the bill of right includes:

  • The vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • The vehicle's make and year.
  • The purchase price and sale date.
  • The seller's signature.
  • The odometer reading.

If you are purchasing the car from another state where a title is not mandatory, you will also need:

  • A certified or original copy of the last registration.
  • Past bills of sale to provide proof of identification.

If you are purchasing a car that doesn’t have a title, you will need a certified or original copy of the current registration certificate and a bill of sale. But it is advisable to ask the seller to process a duplicate title for you.

Required Inspections

The car that you are purchasing will pass safety inspection if:

  • It is coming from outside of Vermont.
  • It does not have a current, valid inspection certificate (vehicles purchased from another state must be inspected within 15 days of registration).
  • Any car up to 15 years old needs a VIN verification if:
  • It has a salvage title.
  • It’s from outside of the state or country.
  • It is titled under bond.

VIN verifications can only be conducted by DMV officers or authorized law enforcement officers.

Vermont Title and Registration Paperwork

To register or title the car in your name, you will need to take the required paperwork to the nearest Vermont DMV office. You must take with you:

  • The signed vehicle title.
  • The completed Form TA-VT-05 (Bill of Sale and Odometer Disclosure Statement), if applicable.
  • The completed Form TA-VD-119 (Vehicle Registration, Tax and Title Application).
  • The VIN inspection certificate, if the car was purchased from outside of Vermont, it is a salvage vehicle or has a titled under bond.
  • Additional documentation for untitled cars, if applicable.
  • Payment for fees and taxes: Registration fee. $33 title fee. Sales tax of 6% of the purchase price.

Transferring a Registration

In Vermont, you can transfer registration from one car to another. To do so, you have to pay $23 transfer fee to get a new license plate.

Vehicle History Reports

A vehicle history report is not needed when registering or titling a car in your name. However, this document is needed when purchasing a car. From this report, you can get detailed information about the vehicle that you are buying. You will know whether the vehicle has been involved in any accident, the damage history and other useful information. This knowledge can help you negotiate a good price for the vehicle if you intend to purchase it.