Paperwork When Buying a Car in Nevada

Last Updated on March 22, 2018 by Jason Mason

When purchasing a vehicle in Nevada, you are required to register that car in your name and apply for a title. When you buy a car from dealers, they normally handle this paperwork on your behalf.

Purchasing a Vehicle from a Private seller

When purchasing a car from a private party, you need to obtain a signed-off title from the seller. If the original copy of the title is missing, the seller has to apply for a duplicate copy and sign it over to you. You may also apply for a duplicate copy if the car was titled in Nevada, if there are no liens in the car and if the car is older than 9 years. Simply you will need to fill out and submit a Bill of Sale and Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title to your local Nevada DMV office. To complete the Bill of Sale, you and the seller must fill out and sign off in the required section. The seller also needs to remove the license plates from the vehicle before selling it to you.

Salvage titles

Do not purchase a car that has an orange salvage title. In fact it is against to law to sell salvage cars to private buyers.

Private payment arrangements

If the seller wishes to remain on the certificate of the title as part of private payment arrangement, they should complete lienholder section of the title. After registration application, the new vehicle title will be sent to the existing lienholder. This is the person who must sign off the title to the prospective buyer in case of future vehicle sale.

Commercial financing

If you are financing the vehicle with a lending company or bank, that business will be responsible for handling title transfer with the Nevada DMV. They will remain with the title until the lien is cleared and satisfied. In this case, you have to register your car with the company’s security agreement forms instead of the usual title. As the buyer, you will be required to obtain a movement permit and car insurance for the vehicle that you are financing. Because the lending institution will keep the license plate for the vehicle, you will need to apply for a permit with the DMV in order to legally drive the car. You’ll immediately be issued a movement permit when you submit a security agreement or title to your local DMV office. Sales tax is not collected for vehicles purchased from a private seller.

Buying a Vehicle from a Nevada Dealer

When you buy a car from a vehicle dealer in Nevada, you will receive the following documents:

  • Copies of contract, warranty and lease agreement.
  • Temporary movement placard valid for 30 days from date of purchase.
  • Emissions certification, if required.
  • Dealers Report of Sale (DRS) (green slip).
  • Drive train inspection report if you purchased a used car with more than 75,000 miles.

If you have not arranged financing, the dealer may keep the Dealers Report of Sale until financing arrangements are made. This can take up to 15 days. The car must be registered within the time indicated on the temporary placard. Normally, the dealer will be responsible for handling all the paperwork required for car registration and titling and they must do so within 30 days from the date of vehicle purchase. You will receive the title or it will be sent to the lienholder, if applicable.

Caution to Nevada Buyer

There is no return policy or grace policy for vehicles purchased from dealers. So be sure to read the contact and agreements keenly before signing it. Don’t sign any document with blank spaces on it.

Buying a Vehicle from an Out-of-State Dealer

Make sure you know the requirement of buying vehicles from dealers from another state. You should ask the dealer about the movement permits, vehicle registration and title transfer process before making a purchase.

Vehicle registration in Nevada

To register your newly purchased car in Nevada, you’ll need to provide:

  • Vehicle title, security agreement, Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, lease agreement, or purchase order.
  • Bill of Sale or Invoice.
  • VIN inspection.
  • Nevada emissions certification, if needed.

Registration Issues

You must obtain a signed-off title from the seller in order to register your car in your name. Vehicle registration papers are not required. If you are purchasing a car that has been titled or registered out-of-state, you must obtain a VIN inspection certificate in order to register that vehicle with the Nevada DMV office.

Bill of Sale

A bill of sale is not required during vehicle registration and titling. However, this document is required for your own records. You can use it to show proof of vehicle ownership when asked to do so by authorized authorities.