Always request a history report when purchasing a used car in Maryland. You might be buying a car that has been flooded or has a salvage title. A license plate lookup provides the information you need on past owners, title information, liens, odometer readings, and salvage records through our license plate lookup service. Additionally, make sure an independent technician has inspected an automobile before you buy it.
A Maryland license plate lookup allows you to quickly access records from vehicle dealers, insurance companies, state officials, individual car sellers, inspection services, and a range of other sources using a single web form. To obtain this information, type the plate number at our license plate lookup page.
Where to Find Your Maryland License Plate Number
A vehicle registration plate, often known as a license plate, is a numeric or alphanumeric ID that uniquely identifies a vehicle or its owner in the issuing region. Plates can be found on a vehicle or in a Maryland Vehicle Registration Certificate.
How to Get License Plates in Maryland
The federal government only grants license plates for its own vehicles and those of foreign officials. Within each jurisdiction, special plates may be available for groups such as firefighters or military veterans, as well as cars owned by the state, municipality, or province.
You can apply for a Maryland title and registration in person at any of the MVA's full-service branch locations. You can also visit an MVA-licensed tag and title service center or mail the papers to the MVA's Out-of-State Title Unit, 6601 Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie, MD 21062. More information is available at http://mva.maryland.gov/.
Types of Maryland License Plates:
- Agricultural or Chesapeake Bay license plates
- Amateur radio operator license plates
- Combat-related license plates
- Disabled license plates
- General license plates
- Gold star license plates
- Military license plates
- Organizational license plates
- Organizational (non-logo) license plates
- Vanity (personalized) license plates
What's in A License Plate Lookup Report
If you look up Maryland license plates, you'll find information like:
- The type of vehicle it is (be it a SUV, a motorcycle, a truck, or another type of vehicle)
- Its previous or present ownership (you will also get a warning if the vehicle has been stolen or has liens against it)
- You will also get to know the condition of the vehicle (including flood, fire, or salvage records, as well as information about recalls), you will find the genuine records of mileage and odometer readings
- You'll also have access to the time and results of its most recent inspection till date.
- You will find out if the vehicle exists on the black market or not.
- You will also find the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), which is a 17-digit code. VinFreeCheck’s license plate lookup cross-checks the information you can get from a vehicle’s VIN, meaning you get the most detailed information possible to inform your purchases and prevent car fraud.
Benefits of Getting the Report
You should definitely get the above-mentioned points as part of your research so that you can avoid any problems when you purchase a car. Of course, license plate searches don’t provide all data possible. Personal data is absent, as obtaining this type of personal information is illegal in the United States. But there is plenty of relevant information to help you in your secondhand car purchase journey. Do note, that you will be able to find out if a vehicle was previously owned by an individual or an organization.
Keep an eye out for signs of possible car fraud when reviewing a license plate record. Look for any theft records. Furthermore, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that 6.0 million car accidents occur each year, so verify the car’s repair and maintenance records. You can also check a car’s emission records to see if it’s in line with Maryland’s requirements. Another great benefit of the license plate report is that it provides a vehicle’s market pricing. That way you can avoid being overcharged by dealers.
Don't be afraid to question sellers about anything out of the ordinary, that’s what the information obtained from a license plate lookup is meant for.
Is It Legal to Perform a License Plate Lookup?
VinFreeCheck guarantees you 100% reliable data taken from officially registered sources such as the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB). This lookup is legal as the data provided does not contain any personal information about the vehicle’s owner and is therefore in line with the DPPA (Drivers Privacy Protection Act). Plus, the government is keen to reduce used car fraud and auto theft. So go ahead and run a quick search on that vehicle!
State Based Informational Guides
We have compiled a list of state specific guides for you. Feel free to check them out.