Idaho Motorcycle Registration

Last Updated on March 22, 2018 by Jason Mason

If you live in Idaho, you have two options when it comes to motorcycle registration and titling. You may ether do it by mail or visit your local County Assessor’s office. To register your motorcycle, you will need to fulfill the following requisites:

  • You must own the motorcycle.
  • Must reside in Idaho or have a business in Idaho.
  • You must title the motorcycle in Idaho before you apply for registration.
  • You must pay $25. If you live in Ada County, you might need to pay $33.
  • Bring along your VIN inspection, Bill of Sale and your title application
  • If you have not obtained a title, you will need to pay $14 titling fee.

Note: If you have obtained Idaho residency, you must register and title your motorcycle within 90 days of establishing residency.

Titling a Motorcycle in Idaho

Motorcycle registration ensures that you obtain the paperwork to show that you have paid the necessary fees to operate a motorcycle in Idaho. Before you apply for motorcycle registration, you must first process the title for your motorcycle. A title certificate is a document that shows that you are the legal owner of the motorcycle. It displays the name and address of the owner or any lien holder.

Registering a Motorcycle in Idaho

If you live in Idaho and you hold an Idaho driver’s license, then you are eligible to apply for a title and motorcycle registration.

You must register and title your motorcycle within 30 days of purchase. If you fail to do so within this period, you will face a late penalty fine of up to $20. If you purchase a motorcycle from out-of-state, you must also title and register it within 30 days of establishing Idaho residency.

If you purchase a motorcycle from a dealer, the dealer will handle all the paperwork for motorcycle registration and titling on your behalf. If you purchase a motorcycle from a private party, you will need to handle title and registration paperwork with your local Assessor’s office.

Liability Insurance

You must purchase the minimum liability insurance for your motorcycle in order to register your motorcycle. The law requires you to purchase the following minimum liability insurance:

  • $25,000 for death or injury of one person.
  • $50,000 for injury or death involving more than one person.
  • $15,000 for property damage.

Registration Renewal

The DMV will send you a registration renewal notice prior to the registration expiration date. You can then proceed to renewing your application online if you live in Ada, Adams, Bingham, Blaine, Bannock, Bear Lake, Boise, Canyon, Caribou, Bonneville, Camas, Cassia, Custer, Fremont, Gem, Gooding, Elmore, Franklin, Idaho, Jefferson, Latah, Madison, Jerome, Kootenai, Minidoka, Oneida, Power, Shoshone, Owyhee, Payette, Twin Falls, Washington and Valley counties.

All you need to present is:

  • Your renewal postcard.
  • Your credit or debit card to pay the registration renewal fees.
  • Your billing address.

Otherwise, you can opt to renew your registration in person at your local Vehicle Licensing office.

If you wish to change the name on your title certificate or your renewal postcard is misplaced, you can contact your local County Assessor’s office for advice on how to get go forward.

Helpful Numbers

  • (208) 334-8663 for more information about vehicle titles.
  • (208) 334-8663 for vehicle registrations and information about special plates