Oregon Motorcycle Registration

Last Updated on March 22, 2018 by Jason Mason

If you are an Oregon resident, the state requires you to obtain motorcycle registration before you are allowed to legally ride it. The Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handles motorcycle and motor vehicle registration and titling. To register your motorcycle, you will need to visit your nearest DMV office or submit your application online. You must also pay a $48 motorcycle registration fee which is valid for two years. If you are registering electric powered or hybrid motorcycles, you will pay $43 registration fee.

If you are titling your motorcycle, you will pay $77 regular title fee. If you are registering your new motorcycle or one that has never been registered, you will pay $12 license plate fee.

To register your motorcycle, you will need to visit your local DMV office and:

  • Complete the Application for Title and Registration.
  • Pay the required fees.

The steps of registering your motorcycle may vary depending on the county where you bought it and if it is used or new. For more information on how to register a motorcycle or a motor vehicle in Oregon, visit the DMV website.

Motorcycle License Plates

The Oregon motorcycle registration plates have a blue lettering and a yellow background. You will be issued with one plate which you should mount on your rear side of your motorcycle.

You can also request the following custom plates:

  • Disabled veteran plates.
  • Ex-POW plates.
  • Ham (radio operator) plates.

Tips for Oregon title and registration

  • If your motorcycle has a lien on it, start the process of titling and registering it immediately after you establish Oregon residency. You must obtain a copy of your current certificate of title from the lien holder before you visit the DMV to register and title your motorcycle.
  • Your motorcycle must be titled in Oregon for you to register it in Oregon.
  • When you submit the application for motorcycle registration and titling, you are certifying that you have the minimum required insurance and you will comply with the law the entire time you will own that motorcycle.
  • If your out-of-state motorcycle is flooded or damaged, you won’t be able register or title with Oregon DMV.