Utah Motorcycle Registration

Last Updated on March 22, 2018 by Jason Mason

If you own a motorcycle in Utah and you plan to operate it on highways, you must register and title it with Utah DMV. The process of motorcycle registration is similar to car registration. The only difference is that emission tests are not required when registering a motorcycle. Also, registration and titling fees and taxes are less.

If you purchased your motorcycle from a Utah dealer, the dealer will handle the paperwork for motorcycle registration and titling on your behalf. If you purchased a used motorcycle from a private party, you will need to handle the paperwork for motorcycle registration and titling with Utah DMV.

Registration and Titling Process

To title or register your motorcycle for the first time in Utah, you will need to visit your local DMV location. Make sure you bring the following with you:

  • Complete the Application for Utah Title (Form TC-6560). This form is also used to register a motorcycle.
  • If your motorcycle is more than two months old, a safety inspection certificate is required.
  • Proof of motorcycle ownership such as vehicle title, bill of sale, or previous registration.
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection certificate.
  • Property tax fee which ranges from $10 to $95.
  • Sales and use tax which vary depending on motorcycle purchase price (price listed on the bill of sale or purchase invoice).
  • Registration fee.
  • Title fee of $6.
  • Odometer statement, if you purchased a motorcycle that is less than 10 years old.
  • You must present a name that will appear on the new title.

The DMV will process your application and issue you with decals and license plates. If you sell your motorcycle, you should keep your decals and license plates.

Renewing Your Registration

When your motorcycle registration is about to expire, Utah DMV will send you a renewal notification through mail. You must therefore renew your motorcycle’s registration annually. In addition to registration renewal, every motorcycle that is less than eight years old must also get a safety inspection every two years. If the motorcycle is more than 8 years old, it must get a safety inspection annually. The fee for a safety inspection is around $7.

However, your motorcycle does not require an emission certificate.

So, to renew your motorcycle registration, you will need to bring your renewal notification, certificate of the title, VIN inspection certificate (if required), your recent motorcycle safety inspection certificate (if applicable) and current registration certificate to your local Utah DMV office. You can also renew your registration through internet at the Utah DMV’s Renewal Express page. A credit card is required in online renewals. Regardless of the method used, you must pay the required renewal fees and taxes.