Washington Motorcycle Registration

Last Updated on March 22, 2018 by Jason Mason

If you purchase a motorcycle in Washington State, you must obtain motorcycle registration in order to be allowed to ride it on Washington public roads. The Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) handles all motor vehicle registration and titling application. The process of motorcycle registration and titling in Washington State is typically the same as registering and titling a car.

If you are a new resident in Washington, you have to register your motorcycle within 30 days of establishing residence. You are considered a Washington resident if you have:

  • Registered to vote.
  • Applied for any Washington license.
  • Received any state benefits.
  • Paying In-state tuition.

Failure to register your motorcycle within the stated period could result in hefty penalties and fines.

To apply for motorcycle registration, you must visit your local Vehicle Licensing Office to do so. Make sure that you take the following with you:

  • Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin if you purchased a new motorcycle.
  • Current certificate of title and registration for a used motorcycle.
  • If you bought your motorcycle through a loan, you will need to present a copy of title that is being held by your lien holder.
  • Documents to show proof of identity.
  • Odometer reading of your motorcycle.
  • Cash or check or payment of fees and taxes.