Last Updated on March 22, 2018 by Jason Mason
The process of motorcycle registration and titling a motorcycle or any other two or three-wheeled vehicle in Maine is the same as that of registering a motor vehicle. You can either apply for motorcycle registration at any local BMV office or in many town offices in your local municipality.
Regardless of where you go to register your motorcycle, you will need to visit your local municipal offices to pay the excise tax. You will need to pay excise tax whether you the motorcycle was bought from a private seller or a dealership. You will also need to pay excise tax every time you renew your registration.
How to Register
You will need to bring the following to the place of registration:
- Green dealer’s certificate: This shows that you have paid the sales tax.
- Blue title application if you purchased your bike from the dealership.
- A completed bill of sale.
- The motorcycle certificate of title signed over to your name if you purchased the motorcycle from an individual.
- Proof of liability insurance for your motorcycle.
- Copies of excise tax receipt.
- Registration application from your town office.
- A check or money order to pay for the excise tax, sales tax and registration fee.
You will need to pay registration fee which is $21. If you are registering your motorcycle for the first time, you will need to pay sales tax, which is 5.5% of the amount indicated in the bill of sale.
Once you submit all the required paperwork and pay all the applicable fees and taxes, you will be issued with a current registration sticker and motorcycle license plates.
Your motorcycle registration must be renewed annually. In Maine, registration renewal notices are not sent to motorcycle owners. So, you will need to mark the date of registration to know the expiry date.
To renew your motorcycle registration, you will need to follow the same procedure at your local municipal offices or local Main BMV offices. You will need to pay the excise tax and $21 renewal fee. Once your registration is renewed, you will receive a new registration sticker to mount on the license plate.
You can also renew registration using the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicle’s online Rapid Renewal system.